The Illinois State University social media strategic plan guided content strategy for flagship accounts and the various colleges, departments, schools, and units. The objective was to deliver coordinated and consistent communication that advances the University’s mission through the University’s flagship social media accounts, using diverse, creative, and engaging content steered by University Marketing and Communications (UMC) in collaboration with units across campus; and to establish and share social media guidelines with other campus units that manage their own social media accounts.
Goals for Illinois State flagship accounts
- Advance the mission. Demonstrate how the University prepares high-achieving, diverse, and motivated students to excel in a globally competitive, culturally diverse, and rapidly changing environment.
- Promote Redbird pride. Increase pride, engagement, and foster community among university stakeholders by sharing content that facilitates connections with the University and reinforces shared values.
- Engage and inform students. Assist student recruitment and retention by sharing content that differentiates the Illinois State experience.
- Reinforce the reputation. Advance the University’s reputation by promoting its achievements, highlighting its role as a cultural resource for the community, and developing and protecting its brand.
- Enhance the culture of philanthropy. Share compelling stories that demonstrate how private gifts provide the University with a margin of excellence and celebrate those who support the University.
- Advance the mission
- Tell stories (text, photos, and video) that highlight the individualized attention students receive in and out of the classroom.
- Work with campus partners to share content that informs and engages prospective students and their families.
- Reflect ISU’s diverse scholarly community by highlighting undergraduate, graduate, and faculty research.
- Share content that routinely reflects the diversity of the student population.
- Highlight impact that Redbirds have in communities around the world.
- Share stories about successful alumni outcomes, including careers and personal passions.
- Developed and implemented an analytic strategy designed to track engagement and the return on investment (ROI) of various University marketing campaigns and social media programs.